Consider the following case study:
Patient AO has a history of obesity and has recently gained 9 pounds. The patient has been diagnosed with hypertension and hyperlipidemia. Drugs currently prescribed include the following:
· Atenolol 12.5 mg daily
· Doxazosin 8 mg daily
· Hydralazine 10 mg qid
· Sertraline 25 mg daily
· Simvastatin 80 mg daily
- Review this week’s media presentation on hypertension and hyperlipidemia, as well as Chapters 19 and 20 of the Arcangelo and Peterson text.
- Select one one the following factors: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior factors.
- Reflect on how the factor you selected might influence the patient’s pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes.
- Consider how changes in the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes might impact the patient’s recommended drug therapy.
- Think about how you might improve the patient’s drug therapy plan based on the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic changes. Reflect on whether you would modify the current drug treatment or provide an alternative treatment option for the patient.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post an explanation of how the factor you selected might influence the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes in the patient from the case study. Then, describe how changes in the processes might impact the patient’s recommended drug therapy. Finally, explain how you might improve the patient’s drug therapy plan.
– This work should have Introduction and conclusion
– This work should have at 3 to 5current references (Year 2012 and up)
– Use at least 2 references from class Learning Resources
The following Resources are not acceptable:
2. Cdc.gov- nonhealthcare professionals section
**Arcangelo, V. P., Peterson, A. M., Wilbur, V., & Reinhold, J. A. (Eds.). (2017). Pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice: A practical approach (4th ed.). Ambler, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Chapter 19, “Hypertension” (pp. 257-272)
This chapter examines the relationships between the cardiovascular, nervous, and renal systems. It then describes diagnostic criteria for hypertension patients, drugs used to treat hypertension and possible adverse reactions, monitoring patient response, and patient education.
- Chapter 20, “Hyperlipidemia” (pp. 275-286)
This chapter explores causes of hyperlipidemia, treatments for hyperlipidemia patients, and methods for monitoring patient response. It also reviews strategies for risk assessment and patient education.
- Chapter 21, “Chronic Stable Angina” (pp. 289-303)
This chapter begins by exploring factors that contribute to chronic stable angina, types of drugs used in treatment, and diagnostic criteria for initiating drug therapy. It also examines methods for monitoring patient response to treatment and educating patients on self-care.
- Chapter 22, “Heart Failure” (pp. 305-322)
This chapter examines the process of prescribing drugs to treat heart failure and explores effects of prescribed drugs, proper dosages, and possible adverse reactions.
- Chapter 50, “Pharmacotherapy for Venous Thromboembolism Prevention and Treatment, Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation, and Thromboembolism Prevention with Mechanical Heart Valves” (pp. 863-886)
This chapter covers drug therapy options for three disorders requiring anticoagulants: venous thromboembolism, atrial fibrillation, and ischemic stroke. It also explains the process of initiating and managing drug therapy for patients with these disorders.
**Drugs.com. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.drugs.com/
This website presents a comprehensive review of prescription and over-the-counter drugs including information on common uses and potential side effects. It also provides updates relating to new drugs on the market, support from health professionals, and a drug-drug interactions checker.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2012). Hypertension and hyperlipidemia. Baltimore, MD: Author.
This media presentation outlines hypertension and hyperlipidemia including contributing factors, evaluation, treatment, and implications.
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"