What are some specific examples from the video that suggest ecosystems and the islanders’ way of life are changing?June 18, 2018
How would you describe the difference between quantitative and qualitative research to someone who was completely unfamiliar with these concepts?June 18, 2018
3 page paper using complete sentences for each question and APA formatting for citations. Include any citations used to support your research.
- Define biodiversity.
- Why is biodiversity important? What are some of the benefits of biodiversity?
- How is biodiversity measured?
- What is extinction? What is causing it today?
- What is the Endangered Species Act? What is it meant to do? (reflect on the economic consequences of the Act as we will be delving into the topic more later on)
- What are some of the most and least diverse species in your local area? Try the interactive map called the “Map of Life” developed by a research team from both Yale University and the University of Colorado Boulder (this tool is still in development). The link can be found here: https://www.mol.org/location/32.045/-471.489/. You can zoom into the map and find your local area (or another area of interest to you). The example map below demonstrates the most diverse species in Tucson, AZ as being birds, whereas palm plants have the least diversity. Describe your chosen area in your essay and copy and paste the chart area showing the most and least diverse species in your area (map of United States does not need to be copied, only the species chart). Were you surprised by the results? Why or why not?
- What can you do as an individual to help slow the loss of biodiversity?